Sunday, March 4, 2007

Darwin's God

There's an interesting article on nytimes.com's most read list entitled "Darwin's God." I found one passage particularly striking:

"In 1997, Stephen Jay Gould wrote an essay in Natural History that called for a truce between religion and science. “The net of science covers the empirical universe,” he wrote. “The net of religion extends over questions of moral meaning and value.” Gould was emphatic about keeping the domains separate, urging “respectful discourse” and “mutual humility.” He called the demarcation “nonoverlapping magisteria” from the Latin magister, meaning “canon.”

My opinion: you can't keep them seperate - and you can love and believe in both. Evolution is so exquisite how could there not be a God? I don't believe I'm living a ruderless existence.

When I read this article I kept thinking about Whitman's Learn'd Astronomer:

When I heard the learn'd astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide,
and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with
much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander'd off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars.

No comments: