Sunday, November 16, 2008

baking day

Last Sunday my friend Katherine and her sister came over for a baking day. I picked up tons of apples when I was in NH a few weeks ago and I wanted to use them up. We made bourbon apple cake, apple pie with Katherine's special recipe, and apple sauce with a recipe from my sister Sarah. The applesauce is delicious - I've been eating it all week. My roommate helped me demolish my half of the apple pie pretty quickly and I brought most of the bourbon cake to friends at work so I wouldn't be tempted.

Here's Sarah's applesauce recipe:

3 TB butter
6 Macintosh apples, cored, peeled and chopped
1/4 c sugar
1 ts cinnamon 1/2 ts nutmeg 4 TB water Combine all ingredients in a saucepan
and cook over medium heat until apples
become very tender, about 30 minutes. Applesauce may be left lumpy or pureed
with a handblender to become smoother.

It serves four but I doubled it so I could have enough for friends. Enjoy!

No comments: