Monday, March 30, 2009

Oorah!!!

I ran a 10k race on Saturday on the Marine Corpse Base in Quantico. My friend Brooke and I left Arlington around six am for the eight am start. Several of my co-workers were running too and it was so fun to run together and then cheer everyone to the finish line.

The Marines organized the race as part of the 'race to register' series. Anyone who runs one of the shorter races in the series is automatically qualified for the marathon in the fall. The Marines are obviously well organized and put on a great race. There was music every couple miles and groups of Marines lining the course.

The first three miles were on pavement, the next two on a trail through the woods. And that's when the fun started. It's been raining here for several days straight and the mud was unbelievable. About a 1/2 mile into the woods everyone split off the trail and were walking up the sides of the trail. The middle of the trail was literally empty so I decided to go for it. I ran on my toes, through the mud, for the next mile and passed literally hundreds of people. It was such a mess.

After the race we went to Crackerbarrel for breakfast and then to the outlet malls on the way home. All in all a great weekend.

No comments: